Blue Frontier Media and Outreach Intern
San Francisco Bay Area or remote; 10-15 hours/week (unpaid).
For almost 20 years Blue Frontier has mobilized activists, educated citizens, and influenced policymakers to reduce or eliminate threats to our coasts and Ocean. We’ve done this through grassroots community engagement, media and outreach. This includes award-winning books, hundreds of articles, op-eds, global awards and the growing Rising Tide Ocean Podcast. In addition Blue Frontier has organized a number of national and regional Blue Vision Summits and citizen lobbies to promote ocean conservation.
A growing part of the Blue Frontier mission in 2022 will be solidifying and creating synergy between its various ‘Blue Beat’ components. The ‘Blue Beat’ has long been an expression of Blue Frontier’s activism and origins in its founder’s journalism, the idea that the only ocean resource not fully exploited is good storytelling. It encourages journalists to report on ocean issues and activists to more effectively promote ocean solutions.
Blue Frontier is looking for a dedicated Media Intern to help the organization build the Blue Beat program, assist in expanding current projects, increase our social media reach, and assist in other organizational tasks. We are seeking an individual that is passionate about the coast and ocean as well as communications and is self motivated.
Media and Outreach Tasks:
- Develop social media content and work with team on developing social media calendar
- Assist in promoting Rising Tide Ocean Podcast
- Work on expanding ‘Writers For the Sea’ program
- Build and promote Blue Frontier Media Training program
- Update Blue Movement Directory on website
- Assist in sending out e-news via Salsa Engage platform
- Support other program and administrative needs
- Passionate about ocean conservation
- Good writing and communications skills
- Self-starter and takes initiative, goes above and beyond the job description and duties; contributes new ideas to organization.
- Collaborative; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings
- Attention to detail and works well on a team
Blue Beat programs include:
- Writers for the Sea – a BF project and organization with over 100 authors and 1200 Facebook followers that has organized panels, dinners and book signings at conferences, bookstores and online
- Rising Tide Ocean Podcast – approaching its 50th episode co-hosted by Blue Frontier’s David Helvarg and Inland Ocean Coalition’s Vicki Goldstein, this has become a professional quality broadcast including 30 min. edited interviews with leading figures in ocean conservation, exploration, science and media, recently picked up by its first radio station
- Media Training Workshop – Blue Frontier has to date conducted more than six media trainings for scientists, students, youth activists and others including prestigious meetings of the IUCN, AGU and others. The trainers include professional journalists and a public relations specialist. These live and online trainings run between 3 hours and a day.
- Books and videos – Blue Beat plans to move forward with several new projects including plans for a documentary on loss of kelp in northern California as an indicator of the climate emergency and a documentary series based on our Executive Directors book – ‘The Golden Shore – California’s Love Affair with the Sea.’
- 50 Ways to Save the Ocean – One of Blue Frontier’s original books, it’s increased relevance may require a new marketing plan be developed in 2022
- Blue Movement Directory – This resource – listing and describing some 1,500 ocean activists groups by state – also needs to be updated and promoted as a resource for the media and the public.
This internship is 10-15 hours/week and can be remote from anywhere in the United States.