Ocean Media Coordinator Internship
San Francisco Bay Area or remote; 10-15 hours/week
For almost 20 years Blue Frontier has mobilized activists, educated citizens, and influenced policymakers to eliminate threats to our coasts and Ocean. We’ve done this through grassroots community engagement, media and outreach. This includes award winning books like ’50 Ways to Save the Ocean’, hundreds of articles, opinions, global awards and the Rising Tide Ocean Podcast. In addition Blue Frontier has organized a number of national and regional Blue Vision and Ocean Climate Summits and citizen lobbies to promote ocean conservation.
Blue Frontier is looking for a dedicated part time Media Coordinator to help the organization build its ‘Blue Beat’ program, assist in expanding current projects, increase our social media reach, and assist in other key tasks. We are seeking an individual that is passionate about the coast and ocean as well as media communications and is self-motivated.
The Ocean Media Coordinator will assist the Executive Director and Associate Director with outreach and communications for Blue Frontier including:
- Coordinate the ‘Writers For the Sea’ organization of more than 100 authors that Blue Frontier has established including outreach to authors.
- Expand the reach of Blue Frontier’s biweekly ‘Rising Tide Ocean Podcast’ now approaching its 75th episode. Also assists in syndicating, producing, promoting and building its audience.
- Help schedule and coordinate Blue Frontier’s Media Training Workshops that have trained hundreds of scientists, youth activists, students and others in how to communicate with and participate in mainstream media.
- Develop social media content and work with Blue Frontier team on developing social media calendar
- Work on other Blue Beat related projects as they develop.
- Passionate about ocean conservation
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Communication and media background
- Self-starter who takes initiative, goes above and beyond the job description and duties; contributes new ideas to organization.
- Collaborative; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings
- Attention to detail and works well on a team
Location – California preferred but can be remote
This position will have a monthly stipend of $500/month
This position is at least 10 hours/week with a minimum 6 month commitment