Ocean News & Op-Eds from the desk of the award winning journalist David Helvarg. News covering the ocean, coasts and communities that depend on them.
David Helvarg is an author and Executive Director of Blue Frontier. He’s also an award winning journalist with 40 years experience reporting from every continent including Antarctica.
The ‘Blue Beat’ is a term coined by Blue Frontier for media that recognize the only resource not fully exploited in the Ocean is good storytelling. Blue Frontier regularly generates ocean themed stories and opinions for a range of major and specialized ocean media and also has a number of its own Blue Beat projects. These include; ‘Writers For the Sea,’ ‘Rising Tide – The Ocean Podcast,’ The Blue Movement Directory, books including ’50 Ways to Save the Ocean,’ and regular Media Training Workshops.
- Why a Green Climate Deal Needs More Blue (8/22/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg and Jason Scorse (Middlebury College) in the August 2019 edition of Sea Technology. It can be viewed here. From Texas to Alaska, Saipan to the Florida Keys, sea level rise and intensified hurricanes are making our coastlines more dangerous and unstable. At the same time, most of […]
- Proposed Development at Point Molate Threatens the Bay’s Dungeness Crab Fishery and Climate Goals (3/21/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg in the Bay Nature on March 21, 2019. It can be viewed here. Point Molate’s eelgrass beds are visible from the shore. (Photo by David Helvarg) This is an op-ed by David Helvarg, the co-chair of the Point Molate Alliance, which opposes the housing plan. On March 19, […]
- Putting the Blue in the Green New Deal (commentary) (3/15/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg, Jason Scorse on 13 March 2019 in Mongabay (News and Inspiration from Nature’s Frontline). It can be viewed here. The Green New Deal (GND) is a U.S. resolution that aims to address economic inequality and global warming through a set of proposed economic stimulus projects. As nearly […]
- Triage for Our Ocean (2/26/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg in The Progressive on Feb. 22, 2019. It can be viewed here. “Pessimism of the spirit and optimism of the will” are about saving enough to rebuild, even if we may not see the results in our own lifetimes. by David Helvarg February 22, 2019 When I wrote Blue […]
- 50 years after Santa Barbara oil spill, the call remains: ‘Get oil out’ (2/18/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg in the LA Times on Jan. 25, 2019. It can be viewed here. Fifty years after a California oil spill launched the modern environmental movement, we may finally be moving beyond the age of oil, and none too soon. In October, the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate […]