Ocean News & Op-Eds from the desk of the award winning journalist David Helvarg. News covering the ocean, coasts and communities that depend on them.
David Helvarg is an author and Executive Director of Blue Frontier. He’s also an award winning journalist with 40 years experience reporting from every continent including Antarctica.
- 50 years after Santa Barbara oil spill, the call remains: ‘Get oil out’ (2/18/2019) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg in the LA Times on Jan. 25, 2019. It can be viewed here. Fifty years after a California oil spill launched the modern environmental movement, we may finally be moving beyond the age of oil, and none too soon. In October, the U.N. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate […]
- Time is running out to stop Trump from opening California marine sanctuaries to oil drilling (7/10/2017) - This story was originally published by David Helvarg in the LA Times on July 7, 2017. It can be viewed here. Time is short if you care about preserving some of California’s greatest natural wonders and recreational opportunities. Six national monuments in our state are at risk, along with parts of all four of the […]
- Rage Against the Dying of the Reefs (5/31/2017) - Rage Against the Dying of the Reefs by David Helvarg May 23, 2017 View the original online at The Progressive . I first saw coral reefs and the abundance of life they generate as a teenager on a trip to Key West in 1967. Tropical reefs cover less than 1 percent of the ocean, but […]
- Neil Gorsuch’s Family Has A Checkerd History When It Comes To Environmental Protection (2/1/2017) - Trump’s Supreme Court nominee could enact revenge against the EPA By: David Helvarg February 1, 2017 See the original article on Sierra Neil Gorsuch, who won the rose from Donald Trump as one of two finalists for a Supreme Court nomination, is a deeply conservative choice in the mold of the late Antonio Scalia. He […]
- Defending the Earth from Donald Trump (1/30/2017) - by David Helvarg January 26, 2017 View this article in The Progressive As a coastal developer, Donald Trump has bulldozed ancient sand dunes and opposed offshore wind turbines (because they “ruined the view”) in Scotland, sought to build seawalls and fill in (smother) seagrass meadows and coral reefs in Florida, and built golf club luxury […]