Ocean News & Op-Eds from the desk of the award winning journalist David Helvarg. News covering the ocean, coasts and communities that depend on them.
David Helvarg is an author and Executive Director of Blue Frontier. He’s also an award winning journalist with 40 years experience reporting from every continent including Antarctica.
- Neil Gorsuch’s Family Has A Checkerd History When It Comes To Environmental Protection (2/1/2017) - Trump’s Supreme Court nominee could enact revenge against the EPA By: David Helvarg February 1, 2017 See the original article on Sierra Neil Gorsuch, who won the rose from Donald Trump as one of two finalists for a Supreme Court nomination, is a deeply conservative choice in the mold of the late Antonio Scalia. He […]
- Defending the Earth from Donald Trump (1/30/2017) - by David Helvarg January 26, 2017 View this article in The Progressive As a coastal developer, Donald Trump has bulldozed ancient sand dunes and opposed offshore wind turbines (because they “ruined the view”) in Scotland, sought to build seawalls and fill in (smother) seagrass meadows and coral reefs in Florida, and built golf club luxury […]
- The Ocean and President Trump (12/6/2016) - Originally posted December 5, 2016 in National Geographic. Like a rogue wave the election victory of Donald Trump for President left about half the nation stunned and the other half giddy with foam. Among the worried parties environmentalists are girding for a long series of battles around climate and expected attacks on keystone agencies, executive […]
- Is Florida’s climate change model — denial at the Capitol, frantic action at the beach — in store for the U.S. under Trump? (12/5/2016) - By: David Helvarg Originally posted December 2, 2016 in the LA Times. When Floridians narrowly voted for Donald Trump on Nov. 8, they might as well have elected to drown themselves. Rising seas and accelerating storms are inundating this low-lying state, but a majority of its citizens still chose a presidential candidate who calls climate change […]
- Saving Point Molate—Again (10/3/2016) - See the original post in The Progressive. Posted: October 3, 2016 by David Helvarg Photo by TJ Gehling Soon after I moved to Richmond, California, nine years ago, I was told, “It’s the most beautiful part of the Bay Area no one’s ever heard of.” It rang true even before I made my first sojourn to […]